Tuesday, March 17, 2009

erin go bragh!

Happy St. Patrick's Day to my fellow-Irish/mutt heritage Americans. A couple of weeks ago Erin and I were at a craft store to gather some supplies for a school project and she spotted a particular decoration in the St. P Day display area. "Hey, that says my name! That's me! But you don't spell 'brag' with an 'h'!"

Somehow she's made it through her first 6.5 years without running across that slogan before and come to think of it, I never drew her attention to it in past years (and know that my cousin, the Irish dance instructor from Chicago, would be soooo disappointed about this oversight). So I explained what little I could remember about it and we couldn't resist buying the decoration. When we got home and hung it up she showed it off to daddy and the twins. I also found a shirt for her bearing the same slogan so she could wear it to school today. She was so proud of it that her teacher asked her to come to the front of the class and explain her shirt to everyone.

This past weekend was the beginning of softball season and all last summer, fall, and this winter Erin made sure to remind me on a semi-weekly basis to sign her up for softball again for this spring. She is a Marlin this year (a Shark last year), so obviously the fishy theme continues. She has entirely different teammates than last year and a new coach too, who I am eternally grateful for. Her coach last year drove me nuts. He was late to every practice and every game and was generally supremely disorganized, and that characteristic makes me crazy. This year the coach is super on top of everything and I volunteered as the Team Admin which means I push paperwork around and set up the schedule and send out team emails and reminders about everything and answer the same questions 10 times each, kinda like a government employee.

Erin had a great time at her first practice and was one of the more reliable hitters/throwers/catchers because she played last season and for many of the girls this was their first time throwing a ball.

John took her to her team pictures/opening ceremony and first game last saturday morning while the twins and I were in German school. Then we came to the field and saw the last 15 minutes of her game on a very cold morning. I think it was about 50 degrees so she kept her jacket on. When we reached the sidelines her team had the field and Erin was playing first base and got two runners out, back to back. I was stunned. I was so surprised that I forgot to take pictures. John said she got another runner out in the last inning.

Erin finally got the hang of the game, mostly, by the end of last season but in the one opportunity she was given last year to play first base she wore her glove on her head for much of the time and used a stick to draw pictures in the dirt. Needless to say, she wasn't such a great rookie first-baseman, but I guess a year can make a world of difference.

Too bad it's no longer an Olympic sport.

No comments: